About Bret F. Coughlin
- Western New England College, Springfield, MA
- University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA
- College of Holy Cross, Worcester, MA
Degree: BA Chemistry, Summa Cum Laude
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, MA
Degree: Fellowship in CT/US/MRI
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio
- American Board of Radiology, 1989
- Tufts Medical School Assistant Professor of Radiology
- Radiology Teacher of the Year Award, 2000-2001
- Non Surgical Staff Teacher of the Year for Department of Surgery, 1999
- Outstanding Radiology Resident award Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 1989
- Phi Beta Kappa College of the Holy Cross, 1980-1981
- Dean’s list all semesters, Holy Cross Superintendent’s List and Commandant’s List US Naval Academy, 1977-1979
- Radiological Society of North America
- American Roentgen Ray Society
- Society American Medical Association
- Society of Emergency Radiology
- Jefferson Radiology, Hartford, Connecticut
- Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, Massachusetts Vice Chairman, Department of Radiology
- Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, Massachusetts Chief Division, Abdominal Imaging
- Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, Massachusetts Director of Emergency Radiology
- Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, Massachusetts Director of Research
- Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, Massachusetts Director of Dental Radiology
- Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, Massachusetts Staff Radiologist
- Does Body Mass Index Affect the Interpretation of Noncontrast Abdominal Pelvic CT scans In press Emergency Medicine Wolfe J, Smithline H, Lee S, Coughlin B, Polino J.Blank D.
- MRI Diagnosis of Spontaneous Uterine Rupture of an Unscarred Uterus Emergency Radiology 2006; 1-3 Hruska, K, Coughlin BF, Wiczyk H. Coggins A.
- CT Directed Diagnostic and Therapeutic Pericardiocentesis: 8 Years Experience at a Single Institution Emergency Radiology 2005; 11 #6: 353-363 Klein, SK, Coughlin BF, Afridi H.
- Prospective Comparison of Helical CT of the Abdomen and Pelvis Without and With Oral Contrast in Assessing Acute Abdominal Pain in Adult Emergency Department Patients Emergency Radiology 2006 Lee SY, Coughlin BF, Wolfe J, Polino, J, Blank F, Smithline HA.
- Feasibility of Near-Infrared Spectroscopy for Rapid Noninvasive Diagnosis of Testicular Torsion: An Experimental Study in Sheep Pediatric Emergency Care 2005; 21# 8 Capraro GA, Mader TJ, Coughlin, BF, Smithline HA Mature Cystic Teratoma (dermoid cyst) of the Mesentery Applied Radiology 2005; 34 #4 Goldmakher, G, Lee SY, Coughlin BF.
- Patient Encounter Time Intervals in the Evaluation of Emergency Department Patients Requiring Abdominal/Pelvic CT: Oral Contrast vs. No Contrast Emergency Radiology 2004; 10 #6 Huynh L, Coughlin BF, Wolfe J, Blank F, Lee SY.
- Single Dilated Lactiferous Duct Due to Papilloma: Ultrasonography Guided Percutaneous Biopsy with a Vacuum-Assisted Device J Ultrasound Med 2002; 21:107-111 March D, Coughlin BF, Polino JR, Goulart RA, Makari-Judson G
- Diagnosing Appendicitis with CT and Ultrasound Using Prospective Patient Stratification by Body Mass Index Emergency Radiology A Journal of Practical Imaging. 2001; 8 #5: 267-271 Tsai SS, Coughlin BF, Hampf, FE, Munshi IA, Wolfe JM
- Spectrum of Volvulus and Torsion Within the Abdominal Pelvic Cavity CDR 2001; 24 #14 Ghani M, Lee SY, Coughlin BF
- Routine Chest Roentgenography Is Unnecessary in the Work-Up of Stage I and II Breast Cancer Journal of Clinical Oncology, October 2000; 18, #20: 3503-3506 Chen EA, Carlson GA, Coughlin BF, Reed Jr. WP, Garb JL, Frank JL
- Angiosarcoma: Unusual Cause of Acute Abdominal Pain and Hemoperitoneum American Society of Emergency Radiology 2000; 7 #5:308-311 Ghani M, Hickey KL, Reynolds DR, Coughlin BF
- Academic Emergency Medicine 2000; 7 #5: 575 Smithline HA, Mader TJ, Ali FM, Pope JH, Coughlin BF, Fitzgerald J, Lindenauer P
- Touch preparation cytology of breast core biopsy specimens: Sensitivity and specificity on the diagnosis of carcinoma Academic Radiology 1999; 6: 339-342 March D, Walker M, Bur M, Dziura B, Coughlin B
- Intrapancreatic Ciliated Enteric Duplication Cyst Presenting with Biliary Obstruction Comtempory Surgery 1999; pp145 Horky, J, Coughlin B, Hampf, F. Krause R, Zucker G, Gang D, Frank J
- Intrapancreatic Ciliated Enteric Duplication Cyst Presenting with Biliary Obstruction The American Journal of Gastroenterology 1998; 93#10:1984 Horky, J, Coughlin B, Hampf, F. Krause R, Zucker G, Gang D, Frank J
- Imaging after cardiac surgery: Expected findings and complications Postgraduate Radiology 1998; 18 (2):71-84 Kon K, Coughlin B, Klein S, Engelman R
- Use of Breast Core Biopsy in the United States: Results of a National Survey AJR 1997; 169 (3): 697-701 March D, Raslavicus A, Coughlin B, Klein S, Makari-Judson G
- EUS of benign and malignant conditions of the duodenum and pancreas Applied Radiology 1997; 25-33, Cited in the Yearbook of Ultrasound Avunduk C, Coughlin B, Hampf F
- Pregnancy and Abdominal Pain: Value of Ultrasound in Diagnosis Emergency Radiology A Journal of Practical Imaging, 1996; (3) : 118-125 Miller, V, Coughlin B.