Need to Know
Nice to Know
Dexa: What to Expect
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is This Exam Done?
Bone Densitometry is one of the most accurate methods for measuring bone loss associated with osteoporosis.
How Does it Work?
A measurement is taken of how the X-Ray beam is absorbed into the bone and body tissues.
What Will Happen During the Exam?
- You may be asked to change into a gown before your exam is performed to avoid interference from metal fasteners on clothing, buttons or jewelry.
- We will review your medical history with you and any past imaging studies you may have had. A technologist will explain the exam in detail and answer any questions you may have.
- The technologist will position you on a padded comfortable, table. You will be positioned for the exam and you will be asked to breathe normally and be still during the exam.
- You will be asked to lay flat on your back for about 10 minutes.
- It will take approximately 15-30 minutes to complete the exam.
How Should I Prepare?
Do not take calcium supplements or osteoporosis medications for 24 hours prior to the exam
What Should I Bring?
Your physician order if it has not already been sent it to us prior to your appointment. Please bring your driver’s license, insurance cards, and a list of medications you are currently taking.
What Are the Benefits and Risks?
The benefits of Bone Densitometry:
- Osteoporosis and osteopenia are highly treatable diseases. Bone density exams provide a quick, painless, and uninvasive way of detecting low bone mass before symptoms arise.
Risks you should be aware of:
- The risks associated with this exam are extremely low.
Avon100 Simsbury Road, Suite 101
Avon, CT 06001More Information
Bloomfield6 Northwestern Drive
Bloomfield, CT 06002More Information
Enfield100 Hazard Avenue, Suite 100
Enfield, CT 06082More Information
Farmington399 Farmington Avenue,
Farmington, CT 06032More Information
Glastonbury704 Hebron Avenue, Suite 100
(Access to building off Oakwood Drive)
Glastonbury, CT 06033More Information
Granby18 East Granby Road, Suite 202
Granby, CT 06035More Information
Hartford85 Seymour Street, Suite 200
Hartford, CT 06106More Information
West Hartford941 Farmington Ave.
West Hartford, CT 06107More Information
Wethersfield1260 Silas Deane Highway
Suite 100 (CT & MRI Services)
Suite 104 (All Other Services)
Wethersfield, CT 06109More Information